One of the keys to understanding who is what in the book of Revelation being able to see the different Greek words from which our English words are translated. Beast for example is translated from either zoon or therion:
NT:2226 zoon (dzo’-on); neuter of a derivative of NT:2198; a live thing, i.e. an animal: KJV – beast. NT:2198 zao (dzah’-o); a primary verb; to live (literally or figuratively).
NT:2342 therion (thay-ree’-on); diminutive from the same as NT:2339; a dangerous animal: KJV – (venomous, wild) beast. NT:2339 thera (thay’-rah); from ther (a wild animal, as game); hunting, i.e. (figuratively) destruction: KJV – trap.
Zoon is used 7 times and therion is used 37 times in Revelation. Here we can see that therion is not just any living animal, but a wild, dangerous and destructive one as well.
Rev 13:11-17 describes this Beast from the Earth
11 Then I saw another beast (therion) coming up out of the earth; and he had (having) two horns like a lamb and he spoke as a dragon. 12 He exercises all the authority of the first beast (therion) in his presence. And he makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast (therion), whose fatal wound was healed. 13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men. 14 And he deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs which it was given him to perform in the presence of the beast (therion), telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast (therion) who had the wound of the sword and has come to life. 15 And it was given to him to give breath to the image of the beast (therion), so that the image of the beast (therion) would even speak and cause as many as do not worship the image of the beast (therion) to be killed. 16 And he causes all, the small and the great, and the rich and the poor, and the free men and the slaves, to be given a mark on their right hand or on their forehead, 17 and he provides that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast (therion) or the number of his name. NASU
Now let us look at 12 attributes of this 2nd therion beast:
- Comes from the earth as opposed to the 1st beast who comes from the sea;
- Has 2 horns
- Speaks eloquently “as a”(figure of speech simile) dragon- NT:1404 drakoon, drakontos, ho a great serpent, a fabulous animal
- Exercises all the authority (exousia, physical and mental power, influence, rights, governance) of the 1st beast
- Makes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast
- Causes great signs (miracles and wonders),
- Makes fire come down out of heaven to the earth in the presence of men
- Deceives those who dwell on the earth because of the signs
- Tells, commands, those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast
- And it was given to him (autos, he, she or it), to give breath (pneuma, spirit) to the image (eikoon, likeness, figure) of the beast
- Causes as many as do not worship the image of the beast (therion) to be killed
- Causes all, to be given a mark (charagma, an etching, stamp or sculpted figure) on their right hand or on their forehead, so that no one will be able to buy or to sell, except the one who has the mark, either the name of the beast (therion) or the number of his name
This should give you plenty of food for thought for helping you understand the chronology of End Time events. Does this help?
*(Biblesoft’s New Exhaustive Strong’s Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
- *(from Thayer’s Greek Lexicon, Electronic Database. Copyright © 2000, 2003, 2006 by Biblesoft, Inc. All rights reserved.)
(Taken from Chapter XI of my book)
Yes, there any many false prophets and false teachers, but there is only 1 False Prophet thrown into the Lake of Fire:
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone. KJV
This individual is first mentioned 3 chapters earlier:
And I saw three unclean spirits like frogs come out of the mouth of the dragon, and out of the mouth of the beast, and out of the mouth of the false prophet. KJV
Prior to this there is no mention of this individual by this name. The only way we can discover more about them is by their attributes:
- In ch. 19 we can see that they “wrought miracles“
- and through these miracles people were seduced into receiving the Mark of the Beast
- and into worshipping the image of the beast
What we need to establish is that this individual is not the beast it is mentioned with and is not “the” Antichrist even though they are “an” antichrist. Until you are ready to acknowledge the difference between these 2 with the spirit of antichrist, you will be deluded and deceived into believing lies.
Is this what you want?